Re: [SLUG] Sites on IP

From: R.G. Mayhue (rmayhue@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2006 - 18:56:25 EDT

On Monday 10 April 2006 02:20, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Since many sites can share the same IP, is there any
> way to tell all the websites which share an IP?

Go to: http://www.domaintools.com

You'll need to sign up for a free account. Use the `Reverse
IP` tool. It will show you most of them.

> 2. Assuming you have a "reseller account" with a hosting
> company, where they give you two IPs for your sites, is
> it possible or probable that they have also given someone
> else those same IPs? Is this common practice or not?

I can't speak for other hosts, but if we give you IPs to use
with your account they are not assigned to anyone else.
Reseller accounts usually have a certain number of IPs
included for free with the account and additional IPs are
available for a small monthly fee. You may need the
dedicated IPs for sites that require SSL certs etc.

Name based hosting on a shared IP is fine for most of your
typical run-of-the-mill websites.

-- Rob