Re: [SLUG] Sites on IP

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 - 15:50:47 EDT

On Sunday 16 April 2006 11:32, Robert Snyder wrote:

> > We used to joke that GTE (Verizon) was the last ones to pick their techs
> > when the Bell was broken up.
>
> A. Dont dirty GTE name.

Oh, but they did deserve the bad name. Bell or not. Of course they are all
bad. Around LA we had both PacBell and GTE, but GTE just managed to make
dummer mistakes, more often.

> D. I had DSL through GTE from now 8 years and been down only once do
> to Hurricane Charlie causing a limb to bring down my phone line to
> the nid.

Good for you. Obviously not everybody has bad experiences with all phone
companies. It's just when you work with them on a daily basis you see more
stupid things than normal companies. (Not counting the postoffice, they most
definitely have the worst employees. As is evident with the term "going
postal".)

> GTE was a efficently ran company the FCC made Verizon in to a

Sorry but I'm not talking about Verizon, I'm talking about GTE. I don't think
you can call it efficient when you don't know which lines are yours, or if
they are live or not.

Typically when I took a customer live and it was with GTE, this would happen
way to frequently: So it's a new service, and has been misconfigured. There
is service but it's wrong signalling or missing lines or something. So I call
GTE and the tech looks on his computer and says, No not ours. Of course we
are in a dedicated GTE territory, it cannot even be anyone elses. Tells me he
does not have service on that address. But I'm calling him on his line. Which
he then starts arguingabout not being possible becasue his computer does not
lie! GTE was a standing joke.

It happend so frequently that I routinely warned the customers before hand
that things may not work on the day they are given, so their business plans
is not thrown by GTE incompetence.

Never mind outright lying. (Phone companies in general.) Maybe it's because
people who work there know that the customer will never see them or enter the
central office or something.

You get things like when people are moving their long distance to a different
carrier the carrier left behind start to sabotage the service (after they got
the transfer order, but before it has gone into effect). Indeed GTE was found
guilty in a court of law for doing just that.

Apparently the idea was that the customer would notice all these problems
after they decide to switch carriers, and think it was a problem with the new
one...

In this case I know for a fact this is not limited to GTE, it seems there are
people with all the big carriers that does stuff like that. Phone sales
people... Haha. They will outright lie to you. Of course customers often
don't always realize they never got the newer better rate.

Or lost call records. When a carrier looses the records of your calls for a
month, they simply take records from a previous month and drop them in.

The amount of errors are so big that there are companies earning millions by
simply installing equipment which tracks the call details. Then compares it
with the phone bill, and get's a cut on the amount of money saved from
correcting the erronious OVER billing. Funny how it often is overbilling...

Phone companies are computerized to the hilt. But mismanaged billing is the
most common cause for companies going under.

The phone industry fully deserves any bad reputation it has. They earned it
the hard way with incompetence and lies.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.