Re: [SLUG] Sites on IP

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 - 11:32:23 EDT

On 4/11/06, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 16:10, Jason Boxman wrote:
>
> > It's DSL, actually.
>
> Ah, I did not check the link. Verizon has a problem in that they signed a
> contract a few years ago with a very incompetent company to handle DSL for
> them. They are located in TX and I once spent ten days with them trying to
> fix it. Finally I stepped in and figured it out myself. (Of course on day
> three we had cable installed and working and DSL became just a backup.)

VADI/Genuity are behind the DSL and FIOS for verizron. GTE aka
verizon owns Genuity and it off shoot Vadi ( Verizon Advance Data
something)

PS. Verizon is based out of Texas as they are using the old GTE headquaters.

> > It works fine, but dealing with Verizon, well, that's just badness.
>
> Phone companies have never understood anything but normal phone issues.
> In Los Angeles I implemented fiber for the movie industry. We used PacBell's
> equipment, which they installed in the basements. (Beautiful racks!!)
>
> Whenever I placed an order I could not go through any order taker. I HAD to go
> through a VICE PRESIDENT to get the order fulfilled. They were simply
> clueless and could not process the orders. Eventually the VP stepped in and
> told us to only go through him.
>
> We used to joke that GTE (Verizon) was the last ones to pick their techs when
> the Bell was broken up.

A. Dont dirty GTE name. GTE was never a baby bell. GTE was the
largest independent teleco that was not part of MaBell.
B. A much smaller baby bell called Bell Atlantic merged with a much
larger GTE to form Verizon.
C. Unfortnatley Verizon choose to keep some members of uppper
managament from Bell Atlantic which leads to verizon trying to run
like MaBell.
D. I had DSL through GTE from now 8 years and been down only once do
to Hurricane Charlie causing a limb to bring down my phone line to
the nid.

GTE was a efficently ran company the FCC made Verizon in to a
inefficently ran company. By forcing the separation of GTE in 11
different companies 4 of them deal with DSL. Techs dont like it but
supposely the fcc ggoing to allow the remerging of most of the
companies to limited stupidity by ordertakers etc.