Re: [SLUG] Sites on IP

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 16:45:29 EDT

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 16:10, Jason Boxman wrote:

> It's DSL, actually.

Ah, I did not check the link. Verizon has a problem in that they signed a
contract a few years ago with a very incompetent company to handle DSL for
them. They are located in TX and I once spent ten days with them trying to
fix it. Finally I stepped in and figured it out myself. (Of course on day
three we had cable installed and working and DSL became just a backup.)

> It works fine, but dealing with Verizon, well, that's just badness.

Phone companies have never understood anything but normal phone issues.
In Los Angeles I implemented fiber for the movie industry. We used PacBell's
equipment, which they installed in the basements. (Beautiful racks!!)

Whenever I placed an order I could not go through any order taker. I HAD to go
through a VICE PRESIDENT to get the order fulfilled. They were simply
clueless and could not process the orders. Eventually the VP stepped in and
told us to only go through him.

We used to joke that GTE (Verizon) was the last ones to pick their techs when
the Bell was broken up.

> I actually use my hosting provider for SMTP. Reverse scenario.

Yes, I like that too. Why not let your ISP be the first line of defense for
your public services.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.