Re: [SLUG] DVI cables

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 - 18:27:17 EDT

On Sunday 16 April 2006 17:55, Eben King wrote:
> I got an LCD monitor a while back. It uses DVI (as most LCDs do), and
> since I didn't see a cable with it (cheapskates, I said to myself), I
> ordered one.
>
> Yesterday, someone was breaking down the box, and lo and behold, there was
> a brand-new, still-wrapped DVI and VGA cables in there. So I didn't need
> to buy one after all (well maybe, because of the length at the time), and
> the ill will toward Samsung was unfounded.
>
> Anyhow, is there any difference _in picture quality_ between one DVI cable
> and another? What makes one better, if so? I realize there can be a
> difference in end construction, cable {flexi,dura}bility, etc. I was just
> wondering if there's a good reason I should swap a working cable for this
> one.

I've never done a visual comparison with two seperate cables so I don't know
how noticable it is.

DVI is a new standard that was developed to maximize resolution on flat panel
monitors. Whereas VGA was developed with CRT's in mind. A CRT is analog while
DVI is digital.

So in short a DVI cable should be better, but again it comes down to what you
can see. If one looks better than that's what I would use. (Though in all
honesty I cannot imagine that you would have a worse picture from a DVI setup
than from VGA.)

Going back to the two, one is analog and older (VGA) and the other is a newer
technology. If your monitor has a DVI connector and your card supports it
that's probably what I would use.

In general, any cable that carry high frequency signals will be sensitive to a
number of things. Though for the most part that does not have to become a big
issue. If you can detect a difference, that is really where the rub is.

In general a shorter cable is better. But a good long cable can easily be
better than a short bad one.

Take a setup with dual or more monitors being hooked up to a switch (A/B) box.
Cheap (below standard) switches in the box can cause a problem in picture
quality. Typically ghosting. Ditto with below standard cables. They too can
cause visual impediments. Again, typically you get stuff like ghosting, but
weak signal is another possibility.

Look for any degradation.

(If you have dvd player.) Find an action scene with explosions and fast
action.Setup your monitor to run at the highest possible resolution and swap
cables. Do the same with a good high res picture. Do you see any degradation?

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.