Re: [SLUG] DVI cables

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 - 19:28:45 EDT

On Sunday 16 April 2006 19:11, Eben King wrote:

> > So in short a DVI cable should be better, but again it comes down to what
> > you can see.
>
> Sure. But if I see no fault now, there's no reason to change, right?

Exactly.

> > If one looks better than that's what I would use. (Though in all
> > honesty I cannot imagine that you would have a worse picture from a DVI
> > setup than from VGA.)
>
> I wouldn't consider using the analog cable. I guess they only included it
> in case $USER doesn't have a DVI-capable card. The only question in my
> mind is "stock or aftermarket DVI cable", and whether the difference is
> enough to warrant ripping open the package, clambering behind the desk,
> groping behind the computer, etc.

In your case factory DVI would have to be a better solution than the VGA one.
Being me I ould have climed behind or moved this out so I could test it
properly. I don't like runing my monitor at anything less than optimum. You
spend all this time looking at it...

I had this friend who had a number of monitors setup on a stand. As soon as I
walked in I saw he was running a refresh rate of 65 Hz, which is verly low. I
asked him why he was running at such low refresh rate as it was clearly
flickering. He had not noticed!

In fact he got a bit upset as he had been happy until I pointed it out. Of
course the solution was simple. Just increase it to at least 70 or 75 to get
rid of that flicker. I prefer to never go below 85. 100 is dandy.

So it's possible that someone is having a lower quality picture than they need
too.

Again, in your case it would be unfathomable that the factory would have sent
such a shoddy cable that the VGA one was better.

> > In general a shorter cable is better. But a good long cable can easily be
> > better than a short bad one.
>
> Yeah. I had a cheap VGA extender once. Looked like my CRT was haunted,
> there were so many ghosts. Advice: Don't go cheap on VGA cables.

Yup.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.