Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 08:46:22 EDT

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 02:41 +0000, "Robert Snyder" wrote:

> On 4/20/06, John Pugh <jpugh@novell.com> wrote:
> Jeff Jaffe talks about the upcoming SLED 10 release.
> http://www.novell.com/ctoblog/
>
> Comments welcome!
> JP
>

> 1. Just good enough. I cant stand the fact that he said that. I dont
> want just good enough I want great, amazing, something that just good
> enough. At lunch I would love a steak but Peanut butter and jelly is
> just good enough.
>From a marketing perspective, I somewhat agree. The somewhat is the
fact
that the monopoly is "just good enough" and I think he was making a
point. I strongly feel it is much better, but there is room for
improvement everywhere (not just Desktop). The SLED10 release will be a
huge leap forward in Linux Desktop usefulness for the masses hence it's
good enough for most, if not all and it keeps getting better.

> 2. Banshee Music player. while it is a nice piece of software I
> would not be bragging about it. What would be nice if Suse brought
> legit music buying service to linux via Real partnership. Why cant
> Suse work with Real to provide a Rhapsody client for linux. While
> there is a web interface now to the radio side of rhapsody the
> drm/rip/download/burn side is not there for linux or the mac. I think
> that it will be necessary for something like this to come about . I
> know we are not the biggest drm fans around here but at least it would
> show some kind of understanding on the part of Real and Suse.

The good thing about Banshee is that it is OSS (MIT X11 License) which
means the OSRB (Novell's Open Source Review Board) allows it in the SUSE
Linux 10.x distro.
We pay a license fee to Real for the player which means it can only go
in our SLE versions (SUSE Linux Enterprise).
I don't know what is happening with Rhapsody, if anything, but agree
that would be nice. Never used Rhapsody...don't have a supported OS.

> PS Friends dont let friends use real media.
Maybe I can still claim friends then...I only use real media once.

JP