Re: [SLUG] Router Firewalls

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 02:06:38 EDT

On Monday 24 April 2006 01:46, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, steve szmidt wrote:

> >> Have it block a noncritical address/port/whatever that you can generate.
> >> Assume that if-and-only-if it works for that, it works for the others.
> >
> > Huh? I think he's trying to detirmine what is open/closed not if it can
> > block a port.
>
> What can be open or closed then? How much packet-parsing does this
> firewall do?
>
> This is not me being snarky.

No problem. : )

I don't know much about it. It's a cheap model. Google reports that it lacks
various features, like remote reporting capabilities.

Any Linux based firewall can block all ports by default and open those needed.
How many? No idea. I would not buy the cheapest one I can find though. (This
one appears to be just that.)

This is why I always get a small computer and drop OpenBSD on it. I know
exactly what it it does, and it does it better than big commercial solutions.

Since all you need is a 386 with 48MB RAM and 500MB disk, it's hard to find
any computer which cannot do it well.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.