Re: [SLUG] Router Firewalls

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 01:34:23 EDT

On Monday 24 April 2006 02:06, steve szmidt wrote:
> On Monday 24 April 2006 01:46, Eben King wrote:

> > > Huh? I think he's trying to detirmine what is open/closed not if it can
> > > block a port.
> >
> > What can be open or closed then? How much packet-parsing does this
> > firewall do?
> >
> > This is not me being snarky.
>
> No problem. : )
>
> I don't know much about it. It's a cheap model. Google reports that it
> lacks various features, like remote reporting capabilities.

Thanks for the replies,

Hmmmm.... didn't realize I was buying a "cheapo" Guess I should
have asked the list before-hand.

> Any Linux based firewall can block all ports by default and open those
> needed. How many? No idea. I would not buy the cheapest one I can find
> though. (This one appears to be just that.)
>
> This is why I always get a small computer and drop OpenBSD on it. I know
> exactly what it it does, and it does it better than big commercial
> solutions.
>
> Since all you need is a 386 with 48MB RAM and 500MB disk, it's hard to find
> any computer which cannot do it well.

Wellllll...all that is probably really good except that I really don't want
extra big "boxes" cluttering my small work space for a simple task. Not sure
I want to get into the intricacies of Open BSD and all of the configuration.
Great for you guys who have the time and patience and I am in awe of your
prowess and patience. Figured the firewall router would be quite adequate.
Too bad that I have just now found out that it is not full-featured.

Did go to the www.grc.com site though and ran the "Shields Up"
thing. All of my ports reported being "stealthed", whatever that means.

Thanks guys, Guess I will have to do more digging to find out what this is all
about. Don't run my system 24/7. No need to. And when I had dial-up it was
just 15 minutes up and then off again. Never felt threatened about such short
exposures to the outside world. Is different now with the hours I am on the
machine and that DSL modem sits there with all of it's lights on.

Thanks again,

Bob S.