Re: [SLUG] Router Firewalls

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 07:31:07 EDT

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 01:34, Bob Stia wrote:
> Thanks for the replies,
>
> Hmmmm.... didn't realize I was buying a "cheapo" Guess I should
> have asked the list before-hand.

I just recalled remotely configuring the same one for another client. It
should do fine for most people. Just not as advanced as some would like.

> Wellllll...all that is probably really good except that I really don't want
> extra big "boxes" cluttering my small work space for a simple task. Not
> sure I want to get into the intricacies of Open BSD and all of the
> configuration. Great for you guys who have the time and patience and I am
> in awe of your prowess and patience. Figured the firewall router would be
> quite adequate. Too bad that I have just now found out that it is not
> full-featured.

It does do most of anything a non geek would need.

> Did go to the www.grc.com site though and ran the "Shields Up"
> thing. All of my ports reported being "stealthed", whatever that means.

That means they are not accessable from the outside from what would be a
standard way of connecting.

> Thanks guys, Guess I will have to do more digging to find out what this is
> all about. Don't run my system 24/7. No need to. And when I had dial-up it
> was just 15 minutes up and then off again. Never felt threatened about such
> short exposures to the outside world. Is different now with the hours I am
> on the machine and that DSL modem sits there with all of it's lights on.

Now, lacking certain features does not mean it's any less effective of
blocking remote access. It does lack certain things like remote logging, but
is probably a decent firewall as my initial probing for reports for security
problems did not turn up anything current.

Make sure you PC's firewall is also in use to have more than one layer of
defense.

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be
capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control.
A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty.
                        From the Declaration Principles