Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 10:25:54 EDT

On Monday 24 April 2006 10:00, Robert Snyder wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Tina Gasperson <tinahdee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, is DRM the end of the road for Linux on the desktop? I mean, if
> > we're not willing to accept DRM, what is the alternative for people
> > who want to be able to download/stream mainstream movies, music, and
> > other content? Is there an alternative to DRM that will enable that?
>
> See my point was that DRM was not the only solution for copy righted
> content. But as a component of the desktop. See what I dont understand is
> people will watch drm DVDs but music everyone throws a fit. Yes the music
> drm solutions are more intensive than CSS on DVDs. I am also not saying
> that if linux can all of a sudden can legally play and buy DRMed music that
> there would this rush of people switching to linux. But I dont think that
> it should be excluded, just because some communistic ellitist have issues
> with artist and there recordlabels ( more for the label then the artist)
> that would like there work just shared among everyone with a single dime
> going back to them. They did there job and while they dont need the money,
> as they have more than enough it still does not make it right to steal.
> DRM keeps you from stealing. so in pratical sense is simply keeping people
> from doing illegal activities.

That's exactly what they want you to think. You'd make a good slave. Meanwhile
you are putting everyone else at risk by promoting DRM as a good or even
workable solution. Which is why I'm pounding on your views.

There is NOTHING good coming out from playing with DRM. Drop it all together
and get on with life. It's that simple.

It's like these Neo Nazi's. Someone could come up and say well they have been
working so hard for so long, maybe we should just give them something so they
don't give up!?

NO, you don't give them anything.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.