Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 12:07:30 EDT

John Pugh wrote:

> HOWEVER, it is keeping people from doing legitimate activities as well.
> THAT is the problem. The current ways that DRM is implemented is causing
> heartburn. I personally have had little problem with it, but I haven't
> bought a music CD in ages...and no, I am not 'stealing' mp3s - my wife
> buys the CD's. I listen to podcasts and NPR more than I do music.

Who is being prevented from doing legitimate activities? What percentage
of the populace? And do they have a reasonable get-around? Until this
becomes a significant percentage of users, it will won't make a
difference. Also note the drop in CD sales in favor of MP3s obtained
(legitimately and illegitimately) from the net. Most of us who remember
the time of vinyl (before even cassettes) aren't much interested in
current music, so seldom purchase music (except for "best-of" CDs).
People who are really interested in current music tend to be of a
generation who are technically savvy enough to get music from
alternative channels.

Paul