Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 21:13:19 EDT

<snip>
> Most of us who remember the time of vinyl (before even cassettes)
> aren't much interested in current music, so seldom purchase music
> (except for "best-of" CDs). People who are really interested in
> current music tend to be of a generation who are technically savvy
> enough to get music from alternative channels.
>
> Paul

Funny that you should mention that...

I lost my resource on current vinyl several years ago when the
shopkeeper had to close shop to go on welfare because his medical bills
were higher than his profit margin and he couldn't get insurance. (see
my previous post for info on my mixed feelings there.) Trent Reznor of
Nine Inch Nails announced that as long as it is possible to have his
music printed on vinyl, he would continue to offer it that way. I have
a decent collection of later nineties music on 33's and 45's as they
sound better than cd's when they are in good condition; plus, records
do not in any way support DRM! In fact, one of my long-term plans is to
rip them all to mp3 so I can really play with them then. There is still
a lot of current music that is released on vinyl if you just know where
to get it. Like I said, unfortunately, I do not currently. Anyway,
that's all for now.