Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 13:45:55 EDT

On Monday 24 April 2006 13:11, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Jason Boxman wrote:
> > Robert Snyder wrote:
>
> Of course not. Linux hackers can pretty much get around anything. In
> fact, a lot of barriers (XBox, et al) are overcome by hackers just
> because they represent a challenge. And there are Linux distributors who
> have struck deals with proprietary codec makers to supply proprietary
> codecs on our Open Source operating system. DRM could go the same way.
>
> > <snip>
> >
> >> DRM
> >> keeps you from stealing. so in pratical sense is simply keeping people
> >> from doing illegal activities.
> >
> > Digital Restrictions Management fails in every respect at preventing
> > profitable copyright infringement.

Exactly. Would be nice if people actually read up on it and did not just buy
into the PR version. It's all about getting an infrastructure in place by any
means.

I forget his name but one of these jokers working for the RIAA actually tried
to get a law through which would give them the RIGHT to wipe out any computer
they THOUGHT would violate their rights...

Think about that for a second.

The RIAA is constantly attacking the wrong target. Going after people who
don't even have a computer, or if they have a file on a web site which is
simple named the "wrong thing".

> Maybe, maybe not. When Joe L. User finds out he can't play his DVD on
> his computer, he'll probably just stick it in his DVD player and
> grumble. Who DRM doesn't restrict is those people who are determined to
> copy content regardless. Some of those people are real criminals.
>
> > Further, it isn't theft. It's copyright infringment.

Taking something which is not yours is still theft, just not as bad as other
crimes. Haha. Not calling it theft is just plain silly. Many other people
like to alter the name to try to lessen their crime. But theft is still theft
whatever you call it.

The thing is if I buy a DVD I like to be the one who decides where and when
I'm watching it. There will always be a click of people who steal. But you
cannot go around treating everyone as if they were a thief. That will only
result in people becoming thiefs.

What it says about the RIAA is that THEY are the thiefs. Treating others as
they expect to be treated.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.