Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 13:52:00 EDT

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Jason Boxman wrote:
>>
>> If DVDs originally shipped without forced segments or you could optionally
>> 'just play' the movie, then along came a system where your original
>> experience was crippled, I think people would take offense.
>>
>> DRM is attempt to reconcile this situation with all current and future
>> digial media.
>>

> Here's an example of an aggravation people have learned to put up with. How
> many times have you popped in a DVD and been forced to sit through:
>
> 1) The "COPYING A DVD IS *THEFT* message, as told by a jerky short film.
> 2) The ubiquitous FBI warning, both in English and French.
> 3) Previews of movies you're not interested in.
>
> You can't stop them. You can't hit "Menu" and get out of them. The best you
> can do sometimes is hit "Fast Forward" so you don't have to listen to the
> crap for the umpteenth time.

Huh. The "play all regions" hack I did to my DVD player must have enabled
such operations, because I don't have those restriction. I'd be mighty
annoyed too.

> I'm not sure a Paul Revere action by us is going to be the thing that changes
> content distributors' minds on DRM.

"One if by LAN, two if by C"?

"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!" "Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.