Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 14:58:31 EDT

On Monday 24 April 2006 14:39, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> >> Huh. The "play all regions" hack I did to my DVD player must have
> >> enabled such operations, because I don't have those restriction. I'd be
> >> mighty annoyed too.
> >
> > I believe such hacks are prohibited under the DMCA. What you are doing is
> > probably as illegal as downloading and installing Win32 codecs for Linux,
> > something no right-thinking, law-abiding American citizen would ever
> > think of doing.
>
> In effect I'm only fast-forwarding past content I don't wish to see. Was
> it ever decided whether that's legal? I'm sure that's a can of worms the
> MPAA doesn't wish to open.

Agreed, but that did not stop Phillips from developing and patent a method to
stop people from skipping channels during commercials... Not that we ever
realize that we need to change channel during commercials either.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.