Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 17:11:54 EDT

Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> steve szmidt wrote:

>>> THEY'll tell you what you want to see!
>>>

>> Oh good, I was not sure what I wanted to see...
>>

> With vlogging (video blogging) and RSS feed multimedia, aren't we really
> beginning to see the end of broadcast media as we know it today?

No. There are still a couple of generations who get their
news/music/movies the old fashioned way. My mother never goes to the
video store; she's got Starz.

> If I can subscribe to feeds of audio/video that are applicable to _me_,
> isn't the old school of broadcast media sufficiently challenged?

On the other hand, conventional media *are* losing their market share.
But I believe this is a result of crappy content rather than their
method of delivery.

> Major studios keep remaking old films and series because it's safer than
> betting on new fresh untested ideas. If Scooby Doo made money decades
> ago, it's a safe bet the nostalgia will carry through a remake for the
> next generation.

And because they have no new ideas, and a lack of real talent.

<snip>

> The studios want me to pay money for DRM hardware in my PC that will
> enable them to limit my viewing options. Without that DRM, I may not be
> able to view their media, but is it really a loss for me? I can still
> watch unencumbered independent films from the net, and NetFlicks is a
> pretty good deal (pretty good realworld bandwidth) for DVDs (hey, I can
> suffer along with some 480p from them).

Hollywood Video/Blockbuster work for me. At $3 a pop, I can see lots of
movies. Most aren't worth buying, but worth watching once. I can live
with that.

> I personally believe that studios will be forced more into a
> "blockbuster movie made for home viewing" mode, rather than a noisy
> movie theatre with rude patrons. As newer technologies like OLED make
> home "video walls" cheaper over the next decade, and broadband increases
> to the home (hooray FIOS!), the home theatre will drive more and more
> media purchases.

And why would I want to go to a noisy smelly movie theatre and pay $30
for the experience, when I can see the same thing a few months later on
my big screen LCD with the home-theatre sound system? Movie companies
are figuring this out, moving back the release dates of DVD versions, to
the horror of theatres. DVD appears to be the largest segment of profit
for the studios. (Nothing to do with the fact that we're all lazy couch
potatoes. ;-)

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster