RE: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 19:03:06 EDT

>>Everyone else is playing catch-up.

>>Where will it all end? Good question. If you know the answer to that,
start investing your money now.

Some of this can be derived by looking at history:

Books did not end spoken stories, and personal tutorage.
Radio did not end books
Movies did not end books or radio
TV did not end movies or radio
The Internet did not end TV, Radio or books

Thus:
Podcasts will not end radio
Vodcasts will not end TV
Downloaded HDTV will not end movies or TV

But the trend is that the broad availability of low cost tools, combined
with oppressive tactics and high cost of traditional media, will cause a
shift in the market towards many more sources of material.

I stopped buying CD a while ago. I was buying them while my
music-downloading friend was discovering new stuff, but since she stopped, I
have as well. I would buy CDs, but I don't know the bands, don't listen to
much radio, and have no motivation to buy unknown CDs.

But I am an avid podcast junkie, and have purchased music I've heard there.
I've purchased all my music from non-RIAA sources in the last few years. I
suspect I'll end up doing the same.

Am I a member of a tiny group? Sure. Will this group hit critical mass? I
believe it will. At that point, new distribution channels will emerge. As
time goes on, they will likely become the establishment, just like Apple
changed from a 'change the world' company to a big "let's sue the source of
our product leaks" company.

Ken Elliott