Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 17:15:19 EDT

steve szmidt wrote:

<snip>

> Well there is this little thing called fair use law. It allows copying as long
> as money is not exchanged.

I guarantee this broad definition would *not* stand up in a court of
law. Copying and distribution under the fair use clause is not precisely
defined under copyright law, but it has been limited in the past to
certain types of activities. Under *your* definition, making 1000 (or
1,000,000) copies of a music CD and giving to your friends would be
legal. Yet I can guarantee that you would lose such a case in court.

For reference, you can use this: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Paul (IANAL)

--
Paul M. Foster