Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 16:11:57 EDT

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 15:50, Levi Bard wrote:
> Perhaps relevant:
> http://www.musiccreators.ca/ - A group of canadian artists against
> DMCA, fan-suing, etc. Includes Sum 41, Avril Lavigne, Barenaked
> Ladies, ...
> http://www.musiccreators.ca/docs/A_New_Voice-Policy_Paper.pdf - Their
> policy paper
>
> A notable quote: "Fans who share music are not thieves or pirates.
> Sharing music has been happening for decades. It is hypocritical for
> labels to sue fans for something that everyone in the music industry
> has done him or herself. New technologies may have changed the way
> that fans share music, but they have not changed the fact that sharing
> helps artists' careers."

Well there is this little thing called fair use law. It allows copying as long
as money is not exchanged. What is known as pirating has helped the music
industry, just as it has helped the software industry.

There is always a percentage who will steal it. But that as a market force has
also made it more known and helped the bottom line.

Ashton-Tate back in their days recognized that piracy is what made dbase
popular that fast.

When it came to software I would often get a pirated copy and check it out.
Then if I continued to use it I'd either buy it right there or start setting
aside money and buy it later. Otherwise I'd uninstall it. It's all about
personal integrity.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.