Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 19:23:29 EDT

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 18:57, Jason Boxman wrote:
> steve szmidt wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > When it came to software I would often get a pirated copy and check it
> > out. Then if I continued to use it I'd either buy it right there or start
> > setting aside money and buy it later. Otherwise I'd uninstall it. It's
> > all about personal integrity.
>
> That's morally inept. You maintain personal integrity despite using
> software without legal standing to do so? Intent to purchase or remove
> doesn't mitigate the act of theft itself.

I guess I was not very clear. This was back in the 80's when most people did
not care, but I had started to realize that it was not OK. Growing up you
could say. The point was that rather than just using pirated s/w I decided on
what I was going to keep and then either paid for it or got rid of it.

I agree it was dealing with stolen s/w. It was also made whole as the
companies got paid, or I removed it. Which was the note about integrity.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.