Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 22:10:53 EDT

<snip>

>> 2. This is not about the choice of having drm in yoru music or not. This
>> is about have the choice to have an application that can buy and play drm
>> based music. This is not about having some killer application that deletes
>> your mp3 files because it does not have drm.
>>

> Ah, but it's like you want the rats gone, so you let the snake in. Next thing
> your cat is also dead. You may want it to be about one thing but...

This is what I'm trying to say.

<more snipping>

>> 4. What this orginal idea was about and still is about Giving the people
>> the choice to choose to have a legit Online music service that supported
>> linux. * Unfortnatley there is no legal way of avoiding drm with online
>> services that sell RIAA record label music.
>>

> Well, this is not entirely really true. There are a number of artists, big and
> small, that don't agree and offers music anyway. As in 1. above I have no
> intention of ever buying DRM music. Maybe enough people will side with me and
> as a market force stop it from being all encompassing. Or maybe not. Either
> way my integrity is more important to me than my immediate life. (I have
> walked out of well paying jobs when I discovered that we were supporting the
> type of companies I don't want to support. As I said it's a matter of
> personal integrity.)
>
> Somehow I don't really expect DRM to completely take over. We'll see.

This is also what I'm saying which I perceive to be one and the same
point. If you lie down and get lazy about it, no matter which side of
the fence you are on, you are wrong. Whether you are the perpetrator or
the victim, if you blow it off and accept it as a part of life, you are
part of the problem. Never, never, never stop fighting wrong, or you
will become a part of it. When you compromise principals, you obviously
do not believe in them. There are times that life throws us that there
will be genuine dilemmas. There will be choices that you have to make
where one of them is not supported by "but I like..." insert whatever.
Sometimes, the proper choice is truly unclear. Sometimes, it will seem
that your only alternatives are either wrong or wrong. (hence the
phrase, "lesser of two evils.") These choices are rare in life, as you
look and find that what you think is a necessity is only a desire when
you are emotionally, spiritually, and mentally stripped to your bear
essentials. Well, I'm done preaching for now.

...or am I? Muhahahahaha....