[SLUG] Re: Network Neutrality (was: Equal Access Bill in Congress)

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2006 - 08:18:19 EDT

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 01:02 -0400, petetheisen wrote:
> Russell Hires wrote:
> > Hello...
> >
> > An important internet related bill is pending vote in the full US House
> > in the near future. The bill relates to companies having equal access to
> > bandwidth that is provided by telecoms. The bill would allow for
> > telecoms to charge more for bandwidth on outbound connections. So that
> > way a company like Google would have to pay more than say, SLUG. Or, if
> > SLUG wanted people to see its pages faster, SLUG would have to pay
> > more.
> >
> > This is bad. Please let your Representative, Senators, and friends who
> > have Representatives and Senators know that one of the founding
> > principles of the internet is in danger.
>
> Hi Russell!
>
> Have you a bill number, or a link to the text?
>
> Regards,

I jumped the gun a bit. If you do a google search for "network
neutrality in congress" you'll find links and other information about
this topic. Some bloggers have been encouraged by the fact that, even in
defeat of adding network neutrality language into the pending
Telecommunications Act of 1996 Reform, the full committee vote to
add/reject the language was closer than the subcommittee.

The bill is still being put together in various
committees/subcommittees, so I don't have a bill number...

Here's a good article, though:
http://www.njtelecomupdate.com/lenya/telco/live/tb-CBLI1146081231280.html

Russell