Re: [SLUG] [PIG] First post

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 11:56:45 EDT

petetheisen wrote:
> Dylan William Hardison wrote:

>>> What language is that? Ha! The non-programmer speaks.
>>
>> it is C.
>
> Hi Dylan, Everybody!
>
> What is your recommendation for a basic tutorial in C or "pig"
> programming (i.e: whatever we will be using on pig), for that matter. I
> need to start somewhere. Are these free ones any good?
>
> http://www.techbooksforfree.com/ccpp.shtml

As always, the best tutorial for C is "The C Programming Language" by
Kernighan and Richie. This is the original book on the language. It is
concise and not too hard to follow.

> I have a charity project that I have been working on for ten years. I
> have a data design and a number of tables but I lack programming ability
> to get anything out of these.

Let me offer this: For years, I've programmed in C. It's the language
I'm most comfortable with. But one of the biggest problems with C (from
my perspective) is that C has no native user interface library. This is
by design. But to write any sort of kewl program, you have to link in
the curses library or wxwidgets, or the fox toolkit, or some other
interface library, particularly if you want something GUI. Using these
libraries is a whole education in itself. Very complicated, and
according to most people, most of these libraries tend to render
differently depending on the platform.

Enter PHP. PHP has a syntax nearly identical to C, and uses many of the
same functions to do its work. PHP is designed to work in a browser, and
allows you to embed HTML in its scripts to make pages look the way you
want in your browser. You can code nice looking applications in a
fraction of the time it would take you with C, and they'll run on any
platform with a browser.

> On a related matter, there is some discussion on C, a little about C+
> and rather more on C++? What makes C + or ++?

As already mentioned, there is no such thing as C+. It's called C++, and
was built by Bjarne Stroustrup as a follow-on to C. I believe it was
originally called "C with Classes", but eventually was turned into C++,
in a play on the C increment operator, "++". C++ adds object-orientation
and classes to C and extends its syntax in various ways. You can still
write well-formed C programs and have them compile and run in a C++
compiler. If you don't intend to become a professional programmer, I'd
suggest C rather than C++, as C is easier to understand. The intricacies
of classes and objects can be quite difficult to grasp at times. Note
that the linux kernel is written in C, so it's quite good enough for a
major project with millions of lines of code.

Also, though I can't speak for Dylan, I imagine he intended the PIG
posts to be language-agnostic.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster