Re: [SLUG] Protecting linux against loss of power

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 16:25:18 EDT

Bill Glidden wrote:
> I have a customer who runs an application on Linux. Despite my repeated
> admonitions not to do so, they just turn off the machine without doing a
> proper shutdown. This has caused some issues for me and for them. Is
> there any way to “harden” Linux against this sort of behavior? Something
> that will prevent loss of data? Anything? Thanks.

Aside from whacking the customer up side the head (my personal
favorite), and the other suggestions, you can ensure that they're using
a journaling filesystem like ext3. No guarantees, but it can't hurt.

Did these guys ever consider that Windows doesn't like to be treated
this way either?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster