Re: [SLUG] screen savers

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 16:15:58 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> I uninstalled xlock and installed xscreensaver (GL ones too), hoping to
> find some modules I saw on a guy's laptop, which had Gentoo (I think)
> with KDE. Didn't find it, but now I have a question.
>
> As I was scrolling through the list of available modules and verifying
> their operation, I ran across some that were greyed out, and showed "Not
> Installed" where the demo would be. If you went ahead and clicked on
> the "Preview" button, you got a black screen.

Some screensavers won't work if you don't have the proper software
support (like OpenGL). They may install, but not be allowed to run, but
you get a "not installed" message. That's my guess.

> I uninstalled xscreensaver*, and got the straight (precompiled) Debian
> version. It complained a bit on installation:
>
> Selecting previously deselected package xscreensaver.
> (Reading database ... 61574 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking xscreensaver (from .../xscreensaver_4.24-4_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xscreensaver:
> xscreensaver depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6); however:
> Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.5-1ubuntu12.
> xscreensaver depends on libcairo2 (>= 1.0.2-2); however:
> Version of libcairo2 on system is 1.0.2-0ubuntu1.
> xscreensaver depends on libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.10.0); however:
> Version of libglib2.0-0 on system is 2.8.3-0ubuntu1.
> xscreensaver depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.12.1); however:
> Version of libpango1.0-0 on system is 1.10.1-0ubuntu1.
> xscreensaver depends on libxml2 (>= 2.6.24); however:
> Version of libxml2 on system is 2.6.21-0ubuntu1.
> dpkg: error processing xscreensaver (--install):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> xscreensaver
>
> Most of those "errors" aren't errors at all, but are name mismatches.
> Some are version errors, indeed.

*Most* are version errors. Most of the Ubuntu versions of the libraries
look to be older than those needed by the xscreensaver package you're
trying to install. In fact, I'm surprised that the xscreensaver version
you're attempting to install would even install.

> But anyhow, I get the same "not installed" shtick. (Yes, I went back to
> the Ubuntu version afterward.) What's the deal with that? What do I
> need to install?

Just what it asks for-- the libraries on which it depends. Though that
seems moot at this point, since you reinstalled the ubuntu version.

> Back to the source, I saw something like a spiral, drawn from one end,
> and distorting from the other (several turns behind). I only saw it
> briefly. Anybody know what it was, and if it's available separately?

I just looked at what I have installed. Nothing matches your
description. (Of course, that doesn't really mean much; I could be
looking at what you want, and might not recognize it from your
description.) From what I've seen over the years, xscreensaver comes
with a fixed set of screensavers, depending on the version. More get
added over time. In addition to the regular xscreensaver package, there
is an xscreensaver-gl package with additional (GL only) screen hacks.

As a side note, there's a really kewl fish tank screensaver I see in
stores on Windows machines that I'd love to have under Linux. But I've
never seen anything like it for Linux, and I suspect it's not actually
part of Windows, but a separate product.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster