[SLUG] screen savers

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 13:42:12 EDT

I uninstalled xlock and installed xscreensaver (GL ones too), hoping to find
some modules I saw on a guy's laptop, which had Gentoo (I think) with KDE.
Didn't find it, but now I have a question.

As I was scrolling through the list of available modules and verifying their
operation, I ran across some that were greyed out, and showed "Not
Installed" where the demo would be. If you went ahead and clicked on the
"Preview" button, you got a black screen.

I uninstalled xscreensaver*, and got the straight (precompiled) Debian
version. It complained a bit on installation:

Selecting previously deselected package xscreensaver.
(Reading database ... 61574 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xscreensaver (from .../xscreensaver_4.24-4_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xscreensaver:
  xscreensaver depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6); however:
   Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.5-1ubuntu12.
  xscreensaver depends on libcairo2 (>= 1.0.2-2); however:
   Version of libcairo2 on system is 1.0.2-0ubuntu1.
  xscreensaver depends on libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.10.0); however:
   Version of libglib2.0-0 on system is 2.8.3-0ubuntu1.
  xscreensaver depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.12.1); however:
   Version of libpango1.0-0 on system is 1.10.1-0ubuntu1.
  xscreensaver depends on libxml2 (>= 2.6.24); however:
   Version of libxml2 on system is 2.6.21-0ubuntu1.
dpkg: error processing xscreensaver (--install):
  xscreensaver

Most of those "errors" aren't errors at all, but are name mismatches. Some
are version errors, indeed.

But anyhow, I get the same "not installed" shtick. (Yes, I went back to the
Ubuntu version afterward.) What's the deal with that? What do I need to
install?

Back to the source, I saw something like a spiral, drawn from one end, and
distorting from the other (several turns behind). I only saw it
briefly. Anybody know what it was, and if it's available separately?

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq
would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world