RE: [SLUG] screen savers

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 14:02:09 EDT

>From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
>Subject: [SLUG] screen savers
>Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:42:12 -0400 (EDT)
>
>I uninstalled xlock and installed xscreensaver (GL ones too), hoping to
>find some modules I saw on a guy's laptop, which had Gentoo (I think) with
>KDE. Didn't find it, but now I have a question.
>
>As I was scrolling through the list of available modules and verifying
>their operation, I ran across some that were greyed out, and showed "Not
>Installed" where the demo would be. If you went ahead and clicked on the
>"Preview" button, you got a black screen.
>
>I uninstalled xscreensaver*, and got the straight (precompiled) Debian
>version. It complained a bit on installation:
>
>Selecting previously deselected package xscreensaver.
>(Reading database ... 61574 files and directories currently installed.)
>Unpacking xscreensaver (from .../xscreensaver_4.24-4_i386.deb) ...
>dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xscreensaver:
> xscreensaver depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6); however:
> Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.5-1ubuntu12.
> xscreensaver depends on libcairo2 (>= 1.0.2-2); however:
> Version of libcairo2 on system is 1.0.2-0ubuntu1.
> xscreensaver depends on libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.10.0); however:
> Version of libglib2.0-0 on system is 2.8.3-0ubuntu1.
> xscreensaver depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.12.1); however:
> Version of libpango1.0-0 on system is 1.10.1-0ubuntu1.
> xscreensaver depends on libxml2 (>= 2.6.24); however:
> Version of libxml2 on system is 2.6.21-0ubuntu1.
>dpkg: error processing xscreensaver (--install):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>Errors were encountered while processing:
> xscreensaver
>
>Most of those "errors" aren't errors at all, but are name mismatches. Some
>are version errors, indeed.
>
>But anyhow, I get the same "not installed" shtick. (Yes, I went back to
>the Ubuntu version afterward.) What's the deal with that? What do I need
>to install?
>
>Back to the source, I saw something like a spiral, drawn from one end, and
>distorting from the other (several turns behind). I only saw it briefly.
>Anybody know what it was, and if it's available separately?

I am not certain which screensaver you are seeking but there are several
packages in the Ubuntu repositories containing screesavers:
xscreensaver-data
xscreensaver-data-extra (universe repository)
xscreensaver-gl
xscreensaver-gl-extra (universe repository)
rss-glx

The last three rely on 3D support so skip them if you are not using adequate
hardware and/or drivers.

-Jonathon