[SLUG] Apple + Linux

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 20:28:46 EDT

Hey, everybody!

    Well, my wife has been wanting a Mac for some time now. Good grief,
those things are expensive! Well, I didn't want to spring for a new one
and have her not like it or even be ho-hum about it, so I found her a
nice, used G4 to play with. Of course, in this household, there will be
some Linux time on that machine. It comes pre-loaded with OS 10.4 and a
bunch of Adobe software, but there are no disks with any of that. I
have an extra little hard drive that would work just fine for a
Yellowdog install, but I'm wondering if I can set up a dual-boot on it
between the two hard drives without screwing anything up.
    Do any of you have experience in this area? What I have learned
from in my Googling is that Yellowdog likes to be on the first partition
on the first drive. I wonder if I could put the existing drive on the
other connector on the ribbon cable, re-jumper it as slave, slap the
other hard drive in, install YDL to it and call it a day. That sounds
like a really good way to wipe out several hundred dollars worth of
software to me! Anyway, any insight would be welcomed and cherished.
Thanks.

--Michael