Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 08:30:51 EDT

>> OK, all you networking gurus, try this.
>>
>> I've got this setup (irrelevant machines not shown):
>>
>> ( internet ) verizon.net, PPTP, DHCP, dynamic address
>> |
>> D-Link router 802.11g, came with FiOS service, "Soulianis" SSID
>> | : |
>> | : "pc" Linux, Samba, thttpd, sshd-server
>> | :
>> | "vcr" XP, 802.11g card. Can access services on "pc".
>> |
>> Netgear router 802.11b, "Magrathea" SSID
>> :
>> "thinkpad-w" XP/Linux, 802.11b card, can't access services on "pc"
>>
>> So, what I would like is for "thinkpad-w" to access services on "pc" (ssh is
>> most important, as it can do file transfer). I'd most likely have to do
>> something to the Netgear router.

I have almost the identical configuration. Two approaches you can take:

1) Someone suggested putting the Netgear into a bridge mode. This will work, but you
can't set it up with the Windows-loadable software; you need to drop directly into
the web configuration page.

-or-

2) Configure the netgear as a subnet on your D-Link primary LAN. This is what I'm
using. My primary wired LAN is configured with a 192.168.1.x/24 address. I gave the
Wireless router a static address on the primary, then configured its internal
network as 192.168.8/25. I then set up rules to allow the wireless network to
access specific devices on my primary LAN. One machine on my primary can remote
manage the Netgear. In other words, my Wireless considers my primary to be the
Internet, or WAN.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com