Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 12:29:08 EDT

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Kwan Lowe wrote:

>>> OK, all you networking gurus, try this.
>>>
>>> I've got this setup (irrelevant machines not shown):
>>>
>>> ( internet ) verizon.net, PPTP, DHCP, dynamic address
>>> |
>>> D-Link router 802.11g, came with FiOS service, "Soulianis" SSID
>>> | : |
>>> |
>>> Netgear router 802.11b, "Magrathea" SSID
>>> :
>>> "thinkpad-w" XP/Linux, 802.11b card, can't access services on "pc"
>>>
>>> So, what I would like is for "thinkpad-w" to access services on "pc"
>>> (ssh is most important, as it can do file transfer). I'd most likely
>>> have to do something to the Netgear router.
>
> I have almost the identical configuration. Two approaches you can take:
>
> 1) Someone suggested putting the Netgear into a bridge mode. This will
> work, but you can't set it up with the Windows-loadable software; you need
> to drop directly into the web configuration page.

That's OK, I didn't even know there was software specific for it. I've
always used the web page.

> -or-
>
> 2) Configure the netgear as a subnet on your D-Link primary LAN. This is
> what I'm using. My primary wired LAN is configured with a 192.168.1.x/24
> address. I gave the Wireless router a static address on the primary, then
> configured its internal network as 192.168.8/25.

Wait, you have the main network as 192.168.1.x/24 then the 2nd router as
192.168.8.x/25? /25 is smaller than /24, sure, but .8.x/25 isn't a subnet
of .1.x/24.

Also, can you recommend a method for taking several addresses and finding
the smallest common subnet/netmask that covers them? I've been doing it by
hand.

> I then set up rules to allow the wireless network to access specific
> devices on my primary LAN. One machine on my primary can remote manage the
> Netgear. In other words, my Wireless considers my primary to be the
> Internet, or WAN.

Does the 2nd router get an address via DHCP? Its address should be out of
its subnet, right?

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.