Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 17:40:14 EDT

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Kwan Lowe wrote:

>> So then, what changes do I have to make? Add rules on router #2 to get the
>> services I want on LAN #1. (What ports does Samba use?) What else?

I can't find the "virtual servers" list, even though I swear I've seen it
before. I did find "port forwarding", which a net source claims is the same
thing.

> Changes you'd need to make:
>
> 1) On router 2, allow TCP 137/139.

With or without that, the workgroup appears empty, but I can call up my
Samba server by Start -> Run... \\192.168.1.11\ . So the data path is
working at least.

I added the rule, but it refers specifically to 192.168.2.64 (my laptop).
That won't do anything for other machines hanging off router #2. Nothing in
the workgroup, but maybe the announcement hasn't been made yet.

  Allow TCP 22 for SSH. HTTPD is TCP/80 but this is generally on by
> default.
>
> 2) If you're running recent versions of software on "pc", keep in mind
> that some services won't work unless "pc" can resolve IPs in your /25
> subnet.

Adding them to /etc/hosts should suffice, yes?

Actually, the router assigns static addresses for all it gives out by DHCP,
and it's in general a caching nameserver, so it _should_ give out those
machines' addresses. Dunno what names they'll get though.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81

This message was created using recycled electrons. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.