Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 16:44:06 EDT

> So then, what changes do I have to make? Add rules on router #2 to get the
> services I want on LAN #1. (What ports does Samba use?) What else?
> Filling in the addresses:
>
> ( internet ) verizon.net, PPTP, DHCP, dynamic address
> |
> | 72.64.*.*
> D-Link router 802.11g, came with FiOS service, "Soulianis" SSID
> | : | 192.168.1.38, 192.168.1.0/24
> | : |
> | : "pc" Linux, Samba, thttpd, sshd-server
> | : 192.168.1.11
> | :
> | "vcr" XP, 802.11g card. Can access services on "pc".
> | 192.168.1.27
> |
> | 192.168.1.31
> Netgear router 802.11b, "Magrathea" SSID
> : 192.168.2.31, 192.168.2.0/24
> :
> :
> "thinkpad-w" XP/Linux, 802.11b card, can't access services on "pc"
> 192.168.2.26
>
> All addresses are assigned by DHCP, and all are static except for router
> #1's WAN port.

Changes you'd need to make:

1) On router 2, allow TCP 137/139. This is often a default entry as "Windows
Networking". Allow TCP 22 for SSH. HTTPD is TCP/80 but this is generally on by
default.

2) If you're running recent versions of software on "pc", keep in mind that some
services won't work unless "pc" can resolve IPs in your /25 subnet.

3) The LAN side address of the Netgear (192.168.2.31) appears to be out of range of
the mask, but you'd need to verify.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com