Re: [SLUG] Warez, Pirates and Bootlegs, Oh My!

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 16:26:44 EDT

On 5/30/06, Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I have never downloaded movies via the internet. On the very few
> occasions I've downloaded music from the internet (generally classical),
> I was very clear about the unencumbered nature of the downloads.
> Unfortunately, all this makes me supremely unqualified to determine if a
> given download or download service is illegal or not. As a consequence,
> when this subject comes up on this list, I cannot tell whether what's
> being talked about is legal or illegal. My apologies for that.
>
> However, for the sake of this group and this list, I would strongly
> caution people against encouraging warez and pirated downloads. What I'm
> talking about should be narrowly defined as encouraging people to seek
> out illegal download services or downloads, and facilitating their use.
> Obviously, as we've seen with Napster, any service like this can be used
> for legal and illegal purposes, so services like this are not a
> forbidden topic. But I'm also sure there are services out there devoted
> most particularly to illegal downloads. Encouraging the patronage of
> such services should not be done. And of course, if Joe L. User knows
> where you can get a *free* copy of MI3 (obviously copyrighted, obviously
> not allowed out by the studios for free), he should keep this news to
> himself.
>
> I'm not trying to dampen discussion, but I also don't want to get SLUG
> involved in encouraging or facilitating enterprises which are of obvious
> or even questionable illegality. Since I'm uniquely unqualified in this
> area, I'd appreciate it if the members of the list could assist me in
> policing this type of thing.
>
> And let's not get into a discussion about how unfair or criminal record
> companies and movie studios are. If that's what you think, I agree with
> you, but the politics list is where that kind of discussion should take
> place. And whether they are or are not criminal really doesn't justify
> ripping them off in return, at least not as far as this list is concerned.

Paul,
I am the cause of this mess, my initial try was to sign up with a site and
pay for the product (Kazaa) what they did not inform me was that when
I signed up their product was OS (windows) dependent. Once I had
given them a CC THEN I found out that I needed to be running that other
OS in order to do the downloads. So far my attempt to pull down a par-
ticular old movie has been met with frustration, indeed I have tried to
go rent the thing and none of the rentals carries it locally. I will have to
purchase the DVD and have it shipped to me. I was just hoping that I
could pay something, obtain some form of token to download the movie
of interest and then let my wife watch it, but all so far met with frustration.

I am going to continue to see if I can find a site that will allow me to
get what I am looking for with proper payment.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;