Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 16:05:26 EDT

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Kwan Lowe wrote:

>> Wait, you have the main network as 192.168.1.x/24 then the 2nd router as
>> 192.168.8.x/25? /25 is smaller than /24, sure, but .8.x/25 isn't a subnet
>> of .1.x/24.
>
> The netgear has two addresses. On the "WAN" side it's a 192.168.1.x/24
> address. On the LAN side it's 192.168.8.1/25.

Gotcha. How can its clients use router #1's DHCP? Can it pass out
addresses regardless of whether they're in its subnet? (Mine can't.)

>> Also, can you recommend a method for taking several addresses and finding
>> the smallest common subnet/netmask that covers them? I've been doing it by
>> hand.
>
> I just search on "subnet calculator" on Google and use one of the first
> couple hits.

Noted. Thanks.

>>> I then set up rules to allow the wireless network to access specific
>>> devices on my primary LAN. One machine on my primary can remote manage the
>>> Netgear. In other words, my Wireless considers my primary to be the
>>> Internet, or WAN.
>>
>> Does the 2nd router get an address via DHCP? Its address should be out of
>> its subnet, right?
>
> I've hard coded its WAN side address, but it could do DHCP if you wanted.

Cool.

So then, what changes do I have to make? Add rules on router #2 to get the
services I want on LAN #1. (What ports does Samba use?) What else?
Filling in the addresses:

( internet ) verizon.net, PPTP, DHCP, dynamic address

        | 72.64.*.*
D-Link router 802.11g, came with FiOS service, "Soulianis" SSID
     | : | 192.168.1.38, 192.168.1.0/24
     | : |
     | : "pc" Linux, Samba, thttpd, sshd-server
     | : 192.168.1.11
     | :
     | "vcr" XP, 802.11g card. Can access services on "pc".
     | 192.168.1.27
     |
     | 192.168.1.31
  Netgear router 802.11b, "Magrathea" SSID
        : 192.168.2.31, 192.168.2.0/24
        :
        :
   "thinkpad-w" XP/Linux, 802.11b card, can't access services on "pc"
                   192.168.2.26

All addresses are assigned by DHCP, and all are static except for router
#1's WAN port.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?           [TOFU := text oben,