Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 21:23:32 EDT

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Chris Mathey wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 May 2006, Kwan Lowe wrote:
>>
>>> 2) If you're running recent versions of software on "pc", keep in mind
>>> that some services won't work unless "pc" can resolve IPs in your /25
>>> subnet.
>>
>> Adding them to /etc/hosts should suffice, yes?
>>
>> Actually, the router assigns static addresses for all it gives out by DHCP,
>> and it's in general a caching nameserver, so it _should_ give out those
>> machines' addresses. Dunno what names they'll get though.
>
> It won't work because you are on different broadcast domains.

What won't work -- browsing "pc"'s workgroup from "thinkpad-w"?

> If you ran a WINS server then they should be able to resolve the hostname
> (provided the clients know about the WINs server. But you still won't be
> able to browse the workgroup.

I'd have to run it on LAN #2 (alongside the Thinkpad), yes?

> Honestly I see no valid reason for you to configure your network like that.
> You are adding complexity and making it un-user friendly.
>
> I believe you should:
> 1. plug one of the netgear's switch port into the DLINK switch ports.

"switch port" is what they call "LAN port"?

> You will need a cross-over cable to connect the 2 (however alot of devices
> these days auto negotiate crossed cable)
>
> 2. Use your netgear as a "b" only WAP

Don't have any choice. It only speaks b.

> If you broadcast SID then just name it so you can differentiate.

Yeah, they are different.

> 3. Use the Dlink as your "g" only WAP. Make sure it is at least 3 channels
> away from your "b" device.

10 (or 11, depending on how you count) now, 1 & 11.

> 4. Turn DHCP off of the netgear and only run it on the DLINK.
>
> Now everything will work perfectly :)

In that case, should router #2's devices be within the netmask of
router #1?

> Also I should note that I run a mixed 802.11 network at my house and I
> don't notice any slow down with a G card while B cards are using the
> network. I just tested it and was able to pull around 20mbps off my
> webserver with the G card while B cards were active. You should experiment
> with it because then that would just make thing even more simple only
> running one WAP.

That'd be loverly, if true... (20 millibits per second? Doesn't sound like
much.)

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81
TAURUS:  You will never find true happiness - what you gonna