Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 21:19:14 EDT

> I am by no means a networking guru, but it seems to me that the
> Netgear router needs to be reconfigured to be used as a switch.
> Connect the Netgear's Uplink port to one of the ports on the D-Link.
> Do not connect anything to the WAN port on the Netgear. There cannot
> be two DHCP servers running on the same network so disable the DHCP
> server on either the Netgear or the D-Link. Check the Netgear
> documentation to see if any other settings need to be changed in order
> for it to function as a switch.
>
> -Jonathon

You know, most consumer-grade routers with multiple ports function as a
hub and not a switch. I just picked up a Nortel Baystack 24-port switch
on ebay for $10.00. I searched locally so I wouldn't have to pay for
shipping. There are tons of deals like this out there due to corporate
lease returns. There are several nice things about one like this. One,
you can plug your stuff into it and it works. No crossover cables, no
configuring, no nothing. It just works. Another thing I like is the
fact that I'm not likely to ever have more than 24 ethernet devices to
plug in (including the router). The last thing that is a real kicker
about this thing to me is that with one cable going from my Netgear
router and then three boxen plugged into the switch, the network tuns
startlingly faster than going straight out the ports of the router. If
you would prefer to work with what you have, I understand that too. I
love configuring some things. Others, it's kind of a lost cause.
That's my $.02 on this deal. Thanks.
--Michael