Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 08:42:36 EDT

michael hast wrote:

> You know, most consumer-grade routers with multiple ports function as a
> hub and not a switch. I just picked up a Nortel Baystack 24-port switch
> on ebay for $10.00. I searched locally so I wouldn't have to pay for
> shipping. There are tons of deals like this out there due to corporate
> lease returns. There are several nice things about one like this. One,
> you can plug your stuff into it and it works. No crossover cables, no
> configuring, no nothing. It just works. Another thing I like is the
> fact that I'm not likely to ever have more than 24 ethernet devices to
> plug in (including the router). The last thing that is a real kicker
> about this thing to me is that with one cable going from my Netgear
> router and then three boxen plugged into the switch, the network tuns
> startlingly faster than going straight out the ports of the router. If
> you would prefer to work with what you have, I understand that too. I
> love configuring some things. Others, it's kind of a lost cause.
> That's my $.02 on this deal. Thanks.
> --Michael

That's not exactly true. I have never seen a recent router with "hub"
ports. a hub is not full duplex, hubs are just repeaters, every host
connected see's every unicast and multicast. A switch know's every mac
address that is plugged into itself and only sends unicast frames to the
intended MAC address. Broadcast frames hit everything of course.

when you say startlingly faster plugged into the baystack I am willing
to bet you had a duplex mismatch when you were plugged into the router
switch ports.

-Chris