RE: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 04:16:01 EDT

>From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
>Subject: [SLUG] LAN config
>Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 14:21:42 -0400 (EDT)
>
>OK, all you networking gurus, try this.
>
>I've got this setup (irrelevant machines not shown):
>
>( internet ) verizon.net, PPTP, DHCP, dynamic address
> |
>D-Link router 802.11g, came with FiOS service, "Soulianis" SSID
> | : |
> | : "pc" Linux, Samba, thttpd, sshd-server
> | :
> | "vcr" XP, 802.11g card. Can access services on "pc".
> |
>Netgear router 802.11b, "Magrathea" SSID
> :
> "thinkpad-w" XP/Linux, 802.11b card, can't access services on "pc"
>
>So, what I would like is for "thinkpad-w" to access services on "pc" (ssh
>is most important, as it can do file transfer). I'd most likely have to do
>something to the Netgear router.
>
>Before we got FiOS, the Netgear router was the only one here, so there were
>some incoming "virtual servers" (aka "port forwardings", I think) hanging
>around. I deleted the "SSH" one, and made a 138-139 one. No change on
>either one. There's no place to specify "TCP or UDP", so I don't know if
>those were TCP only, or both, or what.
>
>Given the relevant ports for Samba, I might be able to beat the router into
>shape. I'll have another look-see and see if I can convince it to pass
>80/TCP and 22/TCP.
>
>Any clues?
>
>--
>-eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP

I am by no means a networking guru, but it seems to me that the Netgear
router needs to be reconfigured to be used as a switch. Connect the
Netgear's Uplink port to one of the ports on the D-Link. Do not connect
anything to the WAN port on the Netgear. There cannot be two DHCP servers
running on the same network so disable the DHCP server on either the Netgear
or the D-Link. Check the Netgear documentation to see if any other settings
need to be changed in order for it to function as a switch.

-Jonathon