Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 17:58:51 EDT

steve szmidt wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 14:26, Chris Mathey wrote:
>

>>A hub is in other terms a "repeater" because when an ethernet frame
>

> A repeater is not used to repeat to a bunch of ports, but to extend a network
> leg. To extend the length of a network. (Which can be done just as well with
> a switch.)
>
> In using a hub or switch as a 'repeater' you only use two ports to extend the
> physical reach of the network cable.
>
> You can call it whatever you want, but using wrong terms when educating
> someone is never a good idea. A hub can be used as a repeater. As can a
> bridge and a router. But you don't go around calling them repeaters. An
> important distinction.
>

>>Basically my statement was that if you go buy a router from compusa
>>netgear\dlink\linksys\et al they are switches and not hubs.
>

> Yes.

Documentation I have read a hub is also refered to as a repeater.
In fact ask 25 network engineers what a repeater is and they will all
probably finger a hub (there are actually purpose built network
extenters that could be refered to as a repeater as well).
The way I explained I should of made the distinction as you pointed out.

Also while we having a light heart discussion on this you wouldn't
use a router to extend a network physically as you would be segmenting it.

*also of note. I hope we haven't annoyed anyone with our networking
topic as in essence it is off topic to this list.

Chris