Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 21:13:29 EDT

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 17:58, Chris Mathey wrote:

> Documentation I have read a hub is also refered to as a repeater.
> In fact ask 25 network engineers what a repeater is and they will all
> probably finger a hub (there are actually purpose built network
> extenters that could be refered to as a repeater as well).
> The way I explained I should of made the distinction as you pointed out.
>
> Also while we having a light heart discussion on this you wouldn't
> use a router to extend a network physically as you would be segmenting it.

My point was that it too could be called a repeater if you wanted. Not optimum
but it still can extend a network. Incidentally I am a network engineer,
since early Novell days.

Technology changes are constantly changing the environment we work in and
today most people think router=switch due to their integration. Bridges are
working on multiple layers. Even filtering traffic. Fiber allows really long
segments, etc.

If you wanted to extend a network today you'd use a switch, as you would have
used a hub in the 'old' days.

> *also of note. I hope we haven't annoyed anyone with our networking
> topic as in essence it is off topic to this list.

Not at all, this is very much on topic. This IS a computer list. We discuss
all things computer related - even windows...

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.