Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 20:19:40 EDT

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 18:14, Eben King wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2006, steve szmidt wrote:
> > On Wednesday 31 May 2006 16:22, Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> >> At one point I _swear_ *.0 was used as a broadcast, and was common on a
> >> number of IP stacks.
> >
> > Hmm interesting, I never ran into it. But with MS anything is possible.
> > They tried to take over the Internet with their bogus standards,
>
> <cough>.NET</cough>

What I'm talking about is their attempt to replace DNS back in the -90's (with
WINS, which is a failure even by their standards) once they realized this was
something new and popular which they did not control. (And they did take
quite a while for them to catch on the idea of the Internet.)

They also started to use the word domain to reflect a MS domain, not at all
working the same as a domain on the Internet.

One of the many 'nice' things they have done is to adopt this really good
network authentication protocol for securing a campus type layout, a protocol
called Kerberos. It has a few unused bytes at the end of it which is reserved
for future use.

Only the MS "implementation" uses those bytes in such a way that it's
incompatible with standard Kerberos. This means that if you have a Unix box
it will not work with the windows version, but it will work the other way
around... Swell, is it not?!

Somebody got a nice promotion for that one I'm sure.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.