Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 00:08:05 EDT

On Thursday 01 June 2006 00:11, michael hast wrote:

> I would be interested to see if this is true. Of course, the
> manufacturer is going to claim whatever is better, but it seems to me
> that a consumer piece of equipment, like M$ itself, is going to be built
> for rapid reproduction and profit rather than function. Like I said in
> another response in this thread, I don't know. But, I'm speaking from
> personal observation. Whether they claim "switch" or not, I believe
> that the basic four-port routers that you see on the market are not
> switches, but hubs.

Thing is that manufacturers know that nobody wants hubs these days. And the
few who use it for another purpose, are too few to warrant continuing to
manufacture them. I'd be surprised to see two manufacturers anywhere in the
world making hubs today.

It might be enough business for one, but I doubt for two. If that even.

And this is not a recent development, switches replaced hubs a decade ago.

Googling returned either liquidators or old postings of second hand ones.

None of these newer network manufacturers have even ever made hubs. Of course
there are still going to be hubs floating around that nobody wanted. I keep
one for those odd times when I need it, and I'd even buy another one for when
this one dies. But these are very infrequent needs.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.