Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 00:24:12 EDT

michael hast wrote:
> Chris Mathey wrote:
>> steve szmidt wrote:
>>> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 08:42, Chris Mathey wrote:

<snip>

>> Basically my statement was that if you go buy a router from compusa
>> netgear\dlink\linksys\et al they are switches and not hubs. The
>> internal software creates a separate VLAN for the WAN port and routes
>> between them.
>>
>> Chris
>>

> I would be interested to see if this is true. Of course, the
> manufacturer is going to claim whatever is better, but it seems to me
> that a consumer piece of equipment, like M$ itself, is going to be built
> for rapid reproduction and profit rather than function. Like I said in
> another response in this thread, I don't know. But, I'm speaking from
> personal observation. Whether they claim "switch" or not, I believe
> that the basic four-port routers that you see on the market are not
> switches, but hubs.

I am *not* a network engineer, but the times I've gone to CompUSA
recently (last couple of years), it's dang difficult to find a hub.
Switches are all over the place, but hubs are hard to find. Switches
used to be quite a bit more expensive than hubs, so I bought hubs.
However, when I tried to replace a non-working hub, I found that the
vast majority of equipment at CompUSA was switches, and that switches
had come way down in price. Just FWIW.

I've never bought anything specifically *called* a "router". (I have
*made* them, though.) But I will say that it should be fairly easy to
tell in short order whether a piece of equipment is acting as a router
or a switch, and without specialized equipment.

--
Paul M. Foster