Re: [SLUG] USB Serial port devices

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2006 - 10:06:05 EDT

> I have external devices that are connected to these things and need to make
> sure that the same hardware device comes on line as TTYUSB0, and the
> second one always comes up as TTYUSB1 etc. Does anyone have a idea
> of how to make sure that a given device always comes up with the same
> serial port assignment.

Another option you may want to explore is writing a little script to
detect which physical device is linked to which serial port, by
looking at /proc/bus/usb/devices (iirc), and then taking the
appropriate action, perhaps by making a symlink (/dev/TTYUSB0 ->
/dev/MyTTY1, /dev/TTYUSB1 -> /dev/MyTTY0 if they come up in reverse
order, for example). I did something similar to this a while ago for
Tosha's wacom tablet (before the driver improved and it became no
longer necessary).

--
Tcsh: Now with higher FPS!
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html