[SLUG] M$ IE 7 Beta

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2006 - 02:03:19 EDT

Hey, Everybody!

    At work, we use Windon't. I have suggested otherwise, but the
extent of Linux at work is Dban on retiring boxes and Knoppix for
hacking files from dead computers. As far as other Open Source is
concerned, I've got several co-workers using Firefox at this point in
time. Since I don't typically like to use Explorer, I didn't see the
point in making sure that I had a bug-free version, so I went ahead and
downloaded the beta release of IE-7. I must admit that it is a vast
improvement over any version of Internet Explorer that I've seen. I
will also admit that it seems to be more secure than older versions. I
must also say that it's not as fast as Firefox, Opera, or any of the
other free browsers, it still picks up worms and such, whereas Firefox
has not on my XP work machine, and it seems like a cheap, ripped-off,
K-Mart version of a good, robust open source browser. The controls and
interface are clunky, the response is sluggish at best, and the entire
fit and finish feel like an afterthought. Another wonderful product
from the people that brought us Windows ME! I just wondered if anybody
else here had anything to say about it. Don't get me wrong, I think
that it could be the start of something great. It seems like the first
step in a marathon that needs to be run in order for the giant to catch
up with the General Public. Anyway, I'd love to hear any other
opinions--in agreement or otherwise. Thanks!

--Michael