Re: [SLUG] Re: spamassassin installation

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2006 - 09:53:49 EDT

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Figured it out. Well, got around it. I took out all options from the
>> spamassassin invocation in ~/.procmailrc, and started getting headers added
>> to incoming mail:
>>
>> ~/.procmailrc:
>> :0fw: spamassassin.lock
>> * < 256000
>> | spamassassin
>> # -D rulesrun=255
>>
>> headers:
>>
>> I don't know why removing debugging options made it work, but hey. This is
>> correct, so I'll run with it.
>
> It's really better to set those options up in the
> /etc/default/spamassassin file, under the OPTIONS= line. You can also have
> the spamassassin daemon run by setting the ENABLED=1 setting in that file.
> Then, in your procmailrc, instead of having
> | spamassassin
> in your recipe, change it to:
> | spamc
> This runs vastly faster than just calling spamassassin every time procmail
> has to feed it an email.

I don't get that much mail (looks like 22 on the 17th and 5 on the 18th -- I
unsubscribed from the spamassassin list), and I'd rather not have spamd
eating up memory and/or swap continuously. If I got lots of mail each day,
I'd definitely change my tune.

I'll look into that avenue of setting options.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81
        http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html