Re: [SLUG] Centos questions

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2006 - 20:39:28 EDT

> CentOS is RH. The only difference are a number of icons that they change.
> Guess people still think that RH is not GPL. It is. You too can download it
> for free. Build your own distro on it just like CentOS people do. Just don't
> call it RH.

RedHat can be downloaded for free, but the updates (out of the box) require RHN. You
can install 3rd party update applications but this is a work system and they (my
company) are not receptive to "free" tools. We are pushing out Patchlink so this
may be less of an issue, but the idea of CentOS is that we'll need fully compatible
systems at a low cost. We can't update via RHN on non-licensed machines.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com