Re: [SLUG] Centos questions

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2006 - 21:32:08 EDT

On Thursday 22 June 2006 20:39, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> > CentOS is RH. The only difference are a number of icons that they change.
> > Guess people still think that RH is not GPL. It is. You too can download
> > it for free. Build your own distro on it just like CentOS people do. Just
> > don't call it RH.
>
> RedHat can be downloaded for free, but the updates (out of the box) require
> RHN. You can install 3rd party update applications but this is a work
> system and they (my company) are not receptive to "free" tools. We are
> pushing out Patchlink so this may be less of an issue, but the idea of
> CentOS is that we'll need fully compatible systems at a low cost. We can't
> update via RHN on non-licensed machines.

You don't need to, you do it via CentOS.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.