Re: [SLUG] [PIG] me vs Mingw

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 15:19:41 EDT

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Levi Bard wrote:

> Perhaps too late,

Not too late for Project 2!

> but good for future reference: you can run g++ on
> win32 using mingw ( compiler only - http://www.mingw.org ),
> code::blocks ( IDE+compiler - http://www.codeblocks.org ) and/or mingw
> developer studio ( IDE+compiler - http://www.parinyasoft.com ), or
> good old cygwin ( compiler only - http://www.cygwin.com ).

I got Mingw from http://www.parinyasoft.com/download.html , but it says

In file included from histogram.cpp:3:
<long path>\ezwin.h:76: error: a class-key must be used when declaring a friend
<long path>\ezwin.h:217: error: a class-key must be used when declaring a friend
<long path>\ezwin.h:147: warning: `class SimpleWindow' has virtual functions but a non-virtual destructor

(Sorry for any typos; that app doesn't allow copying of errors.)

So, will any IDE using g++ give the same errors? Is there any way to put
g++ in a mode where those aren't errors, or a simple modification to ezwin.h
to fix that?

FTR, around those errors/warnings looks like this:

62 class BMBuffer {
63
64 public:
74 // let the windows class have direct access to the bitmap
75 // structures
76 friend SimpleWindow;

and

147 class SimpleWindow {
148 public:
149 SimpleWindow(const char *WindowTitle = "Untitled",
150 float Width = 8.0f, float Height = 8.0f,
151 const Position &WindowPosition = Position(3.0f, 3.0f));
152 SimpleWindow(const string &WindowTitle,
153 float Width = 8.0f, float Height = 8.0f,
154 const Position &WindowPosition = Position(3.0f, 3.0f));
155 ~SimpleWindow();
217 friend WindowManager;

I don't see the word "virtual" anywhere around lines 149-155; should I?

So, is there any way around this, short of using MS VC++ (which came with
the book, and with which it apparently works)? Using EZWindows is
non-optional.

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq
would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world